Friday, September 23, 2011

Seeking Perfection

'Who doesn't want perfection?' So said my friend, in a meek response to why she didn't want to apologise, be a bigger person and undo some not-so-happy incidents from the past. She wouldn't say sorry, because that would mean accepting her faults and falling a notch below the perfect friend standards. (If there is something like that!) She was ready to forgo her friendship to maintain her pride. I wanted to roll my eyes and tell her off, for using such ridiculous excuses, but I didn't. I just smiled and walked away. 



Was it true? Truth be told, I've never thought about it. Yes, I am very particular about where my belongings are placed, I love cleaning my room all the time, I space the words in my assignment as accurately as I can, but do I look for perfection? Do I work towards it all the time? I don't really think so. I work to be better than before, to be presentable to the level that it pleases everyone concerned, and that's it. I wouldn't ever be so obsessed with perfection that I throw away my life in the need of being "perfect". Maybe when it concerns materialistic things, I might look for the best, but never when it comes to people. We can't be on our guard every second. We cannot carry our checklist all around, just because we don't want anyone with faults. "Who's perfect, anyways?', I want to ask her. Is there anybody in the world with whom one cannot find anything wrong? Isn't that what makes us humans, and not robots manufactured in a high maintenance factory? Isn't that what distinguishes us from all the impressive perfect things that man himself has created?

It's disheartening to know that we've become so competitive and heartless that we don't want to accept anyone with their set of unique habits. It might be unacceptable to us, but that's the way of life for some people. We cannot judge people all the time. It doesn't leave us with anyone to have a laugh with, anyone to share our sorrows with. We are social beings, and we cannot exist alone in our perfect little world. Like it or not, we have to learn to accept people the way they are. For the sole reason, that they accept us too, and that's how it has always been.

1 comment:

Jaideep said...

Totally agreed.
Nobody can be perfect and we have to accept people to be not perfect! We should always see their positive sides rather than what they lack! :)
And, i think you should've told her off! :P